Drawn and Quarterly Your Shopping Cart
Home About Artists Shop Events Press New Blog 211 Bernard Store Blog
Monday, October 21, 2013

Peter Bagge in Boston (okay, Brookline!) tonight




Massachusetts! Tonight! Monday October 21st at 7 pm, you can catch Peter Bagge giving a presentation on the origins of Woman Rebel and on Margaret Sanger's fascinating, who-knows-how-she-did-it-all life. That's at the Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street in Brookline, MA. 

Read a chatty, fabulous interview in two parts over at DigBoston (Part 1 and Part 2):

Clay Fernald on behalf of DigBoston: The most obvious question, and the one you are probably getting a lot, is why Margaret Sanger?

Peter Bagge: I wish I had a short snappy answer to that question! For a while now I’ve been doing nonfiction pieces, mainly for a publication called Reason magazine. Short journalistic comic strips, most recently I’ve been doing short biographical strips. It felt like it was starting to build up to the possibility of doing a book-length one. I ran a bunch of names by this one particular publisher who I thought would be interested, and they were the ones who published it, Drawn and Quarterly.

One of the names I ran past was Margaret Sanger. What was interesting was the other subjects I had in mind were all literary figures for the most part. I was very interested in women writers from the mid-twentieth century, from between the two wars. The reason I was interested in them, besides liking their work, was that they lived very autonomous, independent lives. Though these women weren’t the least bit masculine, they lived their lives as if they were men.

Archive

HOME BACK Your Shopping Cart
ABOUT D+Q
ARTISTS
SHOP
EVENTS
PRESS
NEW
Newsletter
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES






This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


copyright 2010 drawn & quarterly