Drawn and Quarterly Your Shopping Cart
Home About Artists Shop Events Press New Blog 211 Bernard Store Blog
Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Toronto: let Chester Brown lecture you at the AGO tonight!


Image via artmatters.ca

The Art Gallery of Ontario does a good job listing Chester Brown's many, many accomplishments: "For over two decades, Chester Brown has been one of Canada's leading cartoonists, known nationally and internationally for such works as Yummy Fur, Ed the Happy Clown, I Never Liked You, and Paying for It. 2013 marks the 10th anniversary of the publication of his innovative and highly influential Louis Riel: A Comic-Strip Biography, published to widespread critical acclaim." Yep, Chester's a pretty important guy in comics, and he's going to be giving this year's (free) McCready Lecture tonight, November 13th, at the AGO!

I helped put together the slideshow for this illustrated talk and people, there are some golden oldie photographs of Chester, Seth, and Joe Matt that'll warm your little heart. Here's one we shared on Instagram recently. So there's that, and you get to peek at Chester's sketches, peep his influences through his personal comics collection, and listen to him say all the brilliant things he has to say.

Oh, and guess what just went live?! A Q&A with Chester at the Quill & Quire, where he answers this most pressing question:

What will you discuss at the McCready lecture? My friendships with other cartoonists and how they’ve influenced how I do things – in particular, my friendship with Seth [who will introduce Brown at the event] and Joe Matt. I’ll talk about why I wanted to get into cartooning and show some teenage stuff no one has ever seen before. - See more at: http://www.quillandquire.com/blog/index.php/authors/qa-chester-brown-on-the-10th-anniversary-of-louis-riel/?utm_source=website&utm_campaign=wordtwit&utm_medium=web#sthash.FQYDu3XA.dpuf
What will you discuss at the McCready lecture? My friendships with other cartoonists and how they’ve influenced how I do things – in particular, my friendship with Seth [who will introduce Brown at the event] and Joe Matt. I’ll talk about why I wanted to get into cartooning and show some teenage stuff no one has ever seen before. - See more at: http://www.quillandquire.com/blog/index.php/authors/qa-chester-brown-on-the-10th-anniversary-of-louis-riel/?utm_source=website&utm_campaign=wordtwit&utm_medium=web#sthash.FQYDu3XA.dpuf

What will you discuss at the McCready lecture? 

My friendships with other cartoonists and how they’ve influenced how I do things – in particular, my friendship with Seth [who will introduce Brown at the event] and Joe Matt. I’ll talk about why I wanted to get into cartooning and show some teenage stuff no one has ever seen before.

Image via artmatters.ca

Introducing Chester Brown will be the AGO's Canadian Art curator Andrew Hunter and fellow pretty-important-guy-in-comics, Seth. I have the feeling it's going to be a perfect evening, and I suggest getting there early.
 


If you can't make this talk, I'd like to remind you that the Chester Brown & Louis Riel exhibit is up and will be until September 2014.

Archive

HOME BACK Your Shopping Cart
ABOUT D+Q
ARTISTS
SHOP
EVENTS
PRESS
NEW
Newsletter
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES






This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


copyright 2010 drawn & quarterly